The Cyprus Bonsai Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please Identify My Tree

3 posters

Go down

Please Identify My Tree Empty Please Identify My Tree

Post  ACEone Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

(imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/img3180ch.jpg)
(imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/img3179gu.jpg)

(sorry,..cant post images yet,..its has not beet 7 days since I register:) )

The suggestions I have found on the internet are:

1. Sageretia Theezans (CHINESE BIRD PLUM)
2. Ligustrum Sinense (Chinese Privet )

I would more agree with Sageretia,..but if I search on google images/forums, I can see my tree in both categories,and the opinions are different...so Im getting confused a bit

So pls,..have you guys any suggestion?...

As well I need some help with care,..as I brougth it home (two weeks ago),..it started to loose leaves,they are turning yoellow and fall,..I guess its stress from moving,..but its been some time I got it on stable place,..(I checked,..no mealy bugs,no aphids)..
Humidity at home is around 55-60% now,..and the tree is sitting on humidity tray as well...but anyway,..as I look at the roots, I think it need repotting urgently,cause the roots are all over the pot,and comming out of it..but Im affraid to do it now becasue I dont want to kill the tree completley,..

Thank You for any suggestions/answers,..

ACEone

Joined date : 2012-04-18

Back to top Go down

Please Identify My Tree Empty Re: Please Identify My Tree

Post  Savvas P. Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Andy,i want to wellcome you in our forum,and i hope you become an active member of our little group...Now as far as your little tree is concerned,if i am not mistaken its LIGUSTRUM..in my first steps to our hobby i bought one from a local nursery.it looked quite ok but all of a sudden it died...i dont think i did anything wrong,i believe that this species are not meant for our climate....they just survive the journey here and then they die.Dont keep it in the house,avoid direct sunlight,and yes you are right,dont do any repotting now,hopefully if it makes it through the summer you see....This is my opinion and my experience as far as this species is concerned.Good luck...

Savvas P.

Joined date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ACEone Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:33 pm

First Thank You for your advice,..I can just agree with you,..had same tree before in SK but the conditions were not even close to the conditions the tree has in his natural enviroment so it died very quick...
Anyway,..because i like to play with,and like to give attention..i will try to keep it alive as long as possible by trying to make the climate for it,..but i agree the summer is realy deadly for any plant not used to it,...
So, as i understand you suggest to take the tree outside?..My balkony has no direct sunlight,but there is a lot light all the day long,...and because im close to salt lakes the air humidity is fine now (50-60% by measuring),..lets see in summer when the lakes dry out:)
Second,..i realy would like to be a part of your comunity as an active member,..because there are no many people like 'us' especialy in CY:)..and i appriciate all the knowledge you are sharing,..
As soon a i settle down a bit i will get more trees to take care and share my work and experience with you all,..
Im looking forward for cooperation,...
best regards..

ACEone

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Andy,

I have fixed a little bit your thread Very Happy - Now you can see the photos and thread moved to the right category.

As Savvas said, most of these "Mallsai" are not appropriate for out climate. Next time try to get native plants or plants that being used in Cyprus for many years and can survive and thrive. thumbs up

Greg
Admin

Joined date : 2011-04-30

https://bonsaicyprus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ACEone Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:33 am

Thank you for reply,..and fixing the post:)
Sure next time i will get tree which fits to the cyprus climate,..but this one when i saw it was wonderfull a just had to get it:)
Anyway,..at least i got something to experiment with,...as i checked now leaves are still falling,..but i checked as well the roots,and it seems that the most of the roots at the bottom are rotted,..
so today i will try to repot the tree and see what happens...

PLS which trees would you recomend to get?

ACEone

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:58 pm

You can get

olive
bouganvilla
pomegranate
mirtus
ficus
shinus
juniper
pepper tree
chinese elm wil be ok as well
etc etc

there are some many species

Greg
Admin

Joined date : 2011-04-30

https://bonsaicyprus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ACEone Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:39 am

Thank You,..

just one more question,..waht about buxus (boxwood)?...i see its growing fine in cyprus

ACEone

Back to top Go down

Post  Savvas P. Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:34 pm

I have one buxus,its doing ok so far,i already did 2 repotings as well....however i lost 2 more and i dont know the reason...the case is the same...they are massly cultivated trees,they bring them over with little care,if you are lucky and you get a healthy tree then it will survive..You saw them in any garden?or in a nusrsery?

Savvas P.

Back to top Go down

Post  ACEone Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Yes a have seen some,..but not realy in good condition, in a 'big' garden shop (sorry forgot tne name) next to Mavros bicycle shop in Larnaca on Phaneromeni street...

ACEone

Back to top Go down

Post  Savvas P. Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Ok I know....i told you the case....dont hurry up,since its nothing special,let them there a couple of months if they survive our summer then you decide what to do. Wink Wink

Savvas P.

Back to top Go down

Post  ACEone Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Yes i will wait,..anyway nothing was good enough,..thx

ACEone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content