The Cyprus Bonsai Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orange

3 posters

Go down

Orange Empty Orange

Post  wildfig Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:40 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

wildfig

Joined date : 2012-10-10

Back to top Go down

Orange Empty Re: Orange

Post  Savvas P. Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:55 pm

Tell us more about this tree Christo.Its a young tree off course how long do you have it?you bought it from a nursery?how is it behaving in the pot?

Savvas P.

Joined date : 2011-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  wildfig Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:06 pm

This is a dwarf variety. It's grafted at the lower trunk, the grafting scar is just about visible.
It had small oranges when I bought it from a nursery 2 years ago. It had heavy top growth.
I planted in an over-sized pot and have done heavy pruning and wiring to develop a trunk line.
The branches are rather brittle. It is growing well in the pot and it had beautiful white flowers in the spring but no oranges yet.

wildfig

Back to top Go down

Post  Savvas P. Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Very good.You know Christo,these is the species we should try to have because its in our nature in our climate,not spend energy on species that have no futture in Cyprus...

Savvas P.

Back to top Go down

Post  wildfig Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Savvas I agree with you 100% about native species. We have a large variety of trees in Cyprus that can be grown as bonsai.
There is a problem with supplies of suitable material. Occasionally I find trees in nurseries that have potential.
Apart from that it's a matter of going out in the countryside and collecting if one has the time and the enthusiasm.

wildfig

Back to top Go down

Post  Savvas P. Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:56 pm

thumbs up thumbs up But with oranges etc,its dificult to find something interesting out there in the wild,you should get it very young from a nursery to give it the shape you want etc etc....and that will take many years right?

Savvas P.

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil W (aka Nelson,UK) Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Is it a kumquat ?.

Neil W (aka Nelson,UK)

Joined date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post  wildfig Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 pm

I think not a kumquat, dwarf orange. I'm not sure there was no label.

Savvas, it doesn't matter how many years it takes, just think of the pleasure you'll get by caring for your trees on a daily basis.

wildfig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum