The Cyprus Bonsai Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk

2 posters

Go down

Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk Empty Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk

Post  rhaco33 Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi There

May I introduce myself. I am the newest member to the Cyprus Bonsai forum. I have been growing Bonsai for over 30 years in the UK. I joined because I am very interested in some of the plants that can be collected as yamadori in Cyprus.

I am looking for assistance. I wish to bring some Portulacaria bonsai into the UK from Cyprus by post or courier or otherwise.

If any one can help me with advice or contacts it would be much appreciated.

Also if there is a favour I can offer in return I would be more than happy to do so. Perhaps I can assist with moving something from the UK for someone

Best regards and thanks

Rob Russell

rhaco33

Joined date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk Empty Re: Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk

Post  Greg Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi Rob,

Nice to see you in our forum.

You can find portulacaria plants in Cyprus but no in the wild. You can find them as house plants.
I never used or know anyone in Cyprus used them as a bonsai. Portulacaria is not as I know a tree but a succulent, thus bonsai world consider spacemens of this kind as not a" real" bonsai.
In any case why are you interesting in portulacaria bonsai?
By the way, are you a pro? where about are you in the UK>?

Greg
Admin

Joined date : 2011-04-30

https://bonsaicyprus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk Empty Re: Assistance to bring or ship bonsai bareroot from Cyprus to the Uk

Post  rhaco33 Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello Greg

Let me tell you the story. I purchased some Portulacaria material on ebay of a guy called Michalis who lives in limassol. In the end it was not possible to ship it the Uk due to couriers not handling plants. Michalis collects plants in the wild and I misconstrued as to whether this was yamadori material. I am building some glass houses and wished to create a collection of good indoor material. The growth rate of portulacaria was also attractive.

I also appreciate your sentiment as to portulacaria being a succulent. However if you saw this growing wild in the Karoo in South Africa it is a tree and effectively replaces the role of hawthorn or a similar shrub in a temperate climate. Why exclude a species from bonsai due to the characteristics its needs to survive in its native environment. I also think of the Baobab tree. is that a succulent as it stores water in its stem and branches.

Have a look at "Spekboom" or "elephant food" on Google images. you will then see it in the wild. Also have a look at what is being done with portulacaria as Bonsai in America and south Africa. There is no way you can deny that they are nice bonsai and grown correctly. Also type in Portulacaria bonsai into Google.

I am based in Hastings in east Sussex and have a large collection with quite a few old yamadori trees. As to being a Pro. I don't think we ever stop learning so my thirty years growing is probably just a introduction. For example I only found out a few months ago what could be achieved with Portulacaria as bonsai.

Hope you get the chance to have a look as it opened my eyes.

I would desperately like to get to South Africa and collect Portulacaria as yamadori material.

Would get some nice trees I reckon.

Best regards Rob

rhaco33

Joined date : 2017-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down