The Cyprus Bonsai Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai equipment

4 posters

Go down

Bonsai equipment Empty Bonsai equipment

Post  kyriacos26 Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi,
I am new in the forum and novice in bonsai techniques. I searched many flower shops and nurseries in order to find equipment for bonsai but unfortunately I cannot find anything relative. So, I usually shop from the internet. But my biggest problem is the soil and some "heavy" stuff that it is very expensive because of the high shipping rates. I have never try these kind of soils and because I have big problem preserving my plants I want to try them. Please I would appreciate if you can help me with this.

Thanks,
Kyriacos

P.S I attached some of my bonsai and it would be very helpfull if you post your opinions for them!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

kyriacos26

Joined date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Bonsai equipment Empty Re: Bonsai equipment

Post  stavros Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Dear Kyriako,

Unfortunately it is very difficult to find in Cyprus most of the substrates that are mentioned in the literature, or as you say, it costs a fortune to import.

There are several alternatives though. One of them is pumice (ελαφροπετρα), which is considered a fine inorganic material, with the only drawback its colour. There is a company that imports pumice and uses it to produce bricks, DALICO, and you can buy from them. One of our members, Petros, has bought some last year. Your other option is to use some sort of gravel(i.e. aquarium gravel), or river sand collected from nature.

I have imported in the past a substantial amount of Terramol (baked clay) but there is way too much work involved.....

I personally would use pumice for the inorganic part or river sand or combination and for the organic part i would go for peat moss.

stavros

Joined date : 2011-05-02

http://www.bonsaicyprus.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:19 pm

hi Kyriako,
welcome to the forum.

As far as the substrate concerned , Stauros told you all about it.
Regarding the rest of the equipment (except from some bad quality Chinese pots) you have no other choice than to get them from abroad.

I like your trees, specially the first olive, has a very good potential. I see some tanuki as well?!
This is not a bad collection for a beginner. Don't forget that you got all the information probably from internet.
The material you have there is the same as we all used to have when first start practicing bonsai. With this material you will practice cultivation and other bonsai technics.
Stay tuned with us, Bonsai knowledge is there to be shared thumbs up

Greg
Admin

Joined date : 2011-04-30

https://bonsaicyprus.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Savvas P. Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:11 pm

Kiriako first of all i want to wellcome you in our small group.....you got some answers to your questions...as far as the tools are concerned i fully agree with the rest,now as far as the soil is concerned again Stavros gave you most of your options however i would like to put more emphasis on the RIVER SAND,if its used properly i think it would be your best option.
Now about your trees,thats from where we all started,however,once we decided to meet and started exchanging views and opinions things changed a lot....if you decide to come in one of our meetings you will be sure that you will get answers to a lot of your questions and things will get in a different psospective....We are all learning from each other so when you are ready come along. thumbs up thumbs up

Savvas P.

Back to top Go down

Post  kyriacos26 Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you very much for the advices that you gave me. I am trying to learn as much as I can especially from the internet and some books. Of course I will follow you in your meetings.
The subject with the soil is very important for me because many of my "bonsai" are dying after a period of time. After all, I am not completely out of the subject in the plant sector because my job is relative.
Thanks again for the advices!!

kyriacos26

Joined date : 2011-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Savvas P. Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Another mmember of our group is in a plant related sector and that proved to be very usefull.....two is even better....books and internet is ok but the conditions of Cyprus are nowhere near to what you will face in any book so have that in mind...

Savvas P.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down